Thursday, June 2, 2016

My Summer Book Study, The Book Whisperer

Hello All,

I'm probably behind the rest of you about reading this book. I have heard good things about it but had never read it. So, this summer I decided to get it and read through it.

It seems that many of our economically disadvantaged students start off below what is expected with language skills and they keep struggling no matter the intervention or instruction they get. So, what is it that will help close this gap. I am not sure that this book is the answer but I don't think it could hurt.

Here's one quote from the book I saw on goodreads. It makes sense and I am hopeful for what I will learn and be inspired by reading this book.

“I need to put forward more encouraging terms for my students than the negative popular terminology struggling and reluctant. Where is the hope in these terms? I prefer to use positive language to identify the readers in my classes. Peeking into my classroom, I see sixty different readers with individual reading preferences and abilities, but I consistently recognize three trends: developing readers, dormant readers, and underground readers.” 
― Donalyn MillerThe Book Whisperer: Awakening the Inner Reader in Every Child

So, have you read the book?  Share your thoughts whether you have read it or not in the comments. I would love to discuss it with you.

Have a great day!
Ms. Fran

No comments:

Post a Comment