Friday, March 20, 2015

Strategies for teaching Firsties about Money

Hello All,

Since I am going to be teaching money soon I thought I would do some research on strategies and concepts they need to learn. I taught 2nd grade Math and Science last year and they struggled with money, even the advanced class.  So, I know that these Firsties need a good foundation.  Again, this is not in our curriculum but we feel it is important so we are working it into our schedule.

One great site for some activities is MathWire.  I am going to talk about a couple of the concepts here but just so you know they are not my original thought these are from Mathwire.

First, they talk about adding antennas to the coins. Basically for multiples of 5 the students drawn a tally mark stemming from the coin. It's the same concept as touch math basically. A nickel gets one antenna, a dime 2 and a quarter 5.  Then they skip count by 5 to get the value and to add on to the value of another coin. I think I will try this with my struggling learners after I introduce money.

Another idea they had which I never really thought of for money was using a hundreds chart.  Students need to be adept at using the hundreds chart and understand the patterns of it to use it.  First, they suggest using it to count coins.  For example, give a student 3 dimes and 1 nickel. The students would place the dimes on 10, 20, 30 and the nickel on 35. The last coin tells students how much money they have altogether.   This method is effective for having students figure out which coins to use to pay for an item.   If you teach 2nd grade check out the link for how to use it for making change. I don't think we'll be doing that very much in first grade but I have the link if we do need to go there!

What's great about this site is on the link I provided they give you a literacy connection and also some games. There is a free I have who has game.  There are several other activities as well. It's well worth your while to check it out.  MathWire

Money is soooooo important because it is not just about academic skills that you don't know how you'll use but because it's a life skill that is extremely important.  If you can't count money you can get cheated at the basic level buying a treat at the store.  You have to be able to count money.  Many start at jobs like McDonald's etc., even if it tells you what change to give it doesn't tell you what coins make up that 83 cents. It's an important skill. It needs to be taught at every level.


I found this link off of Heidi's Swamp Frogs blog that has games and activities for each CCSS.  Mony is one here so search for it and you'll find some great activities.

 http://www.allentownsd.org/Page/3359

I hope this is helpful to you. I wanted to post some information that is not just product related. When I return to school after Spring Break then I will be doing these activities with my kids. I will know how to add to them if needed and I plan to take pictures of them using them. I'll get feedback for sure about what they like and don't like!

Happy Teaching and Learning,

Ms. Francisco



No comments:

Post a Comment